Monday, September 12, 2011

Induction?

Well, it's getting down to crunch time apparently. I just heard that they might induce me later this morning... first, a look at how we got to this point though:

A few nights ago, Dr. Poho (the neonatologist) suggested that I have some amniotic fluid collected so they could test it for fetal lung maturity. That was a fun process. Remember how I told you my water broke and it felt like I was peeing my pants dozens of times a day? Well, that intensifies at night when I'm trying to get comfortable and sleep, because of the changing of positions, so that's when we decided to try to collect the fluid. Luckily it was Mom's turn for the night shift, because I don't know if Tim would have been able to handle the process.

They told me they needed about 3 cc of fluid to run the test. That's about a teaspoon for all of you U.S. Customary System of Measurement users out there. Sounds easy, right?

Wrong.

First the nurse brought me a funnel pan (basically a pink bed pan that is slanted) to shove under my backside. I'm not sure why they insist on making bed pans out of hard, sharp-edged plastic, as it is quite uncomfortable. I tried sitting on it, but of course nothing came out when I did that, and I felt like my ass was being cut in half by the plastic. We needed a better way. Therefore, mom and I were on edge for a good hour while I tried laying in different positions (on my back, on my side, etc.) waiting for the big spill to occur.

Well, lo and behold, I eventually started to drip. Mom quickly shoved the pan under my bare butt (being a mom is so much fun), and we waited.

And waited.

I couldn't tell what was happening, and she couldn't see into the pan, because there were shadows, so I had the brilliant idea of handing her my phone (with flashlight app) to take a peek. I'm going to blame the late hour of the night for the fact that she got my phone, stood back, and proceeded to try to take a picture of my bare ass. Appalled, I informed her that I did not, in fact, need a photographic record of my leaking orifices, and she was able to confirm that some liquid was going into the pan using the flashlight and NOT the camera.

Anyway, we sent the fluid off to the lab (I was able to laugh 2.5 cc out during the exchange) and had to wait for the test results. Dr. Poho visited me this morning to tell me that 2 out of the 3 tests they ran were positive for fetal lung maturity, meaning that Amelia should have only a 1% chance of respiratory distress when she comes out. YAY!

What does this mean for me?

It means when Dr. Durfee (my amazing obstetrician) comes in today, she'll decide when they are going to induce me. It could be later this morning.

Now the real freaking out begins. First of all, it figures after being monitored like a hawk 24/7 for four days that I would be alone when they brought me this news. Second of all, with all of the blood rushing to my head after hearing this I feel like I've forgotten how to breathe. Can I actually do this? Can I really give birth?! This is really fucking scary!

Tim just told me that hearing her cry and breathe on her own would be music to his ears, and I agree. I'm so grateful that I've had such great care, and that she appears to be maturing fast enough that she'll be ok, but I'm still stuck on the fact that this wet, squirmy ball of flesh is going to come out. Of ME. Possibly today. (Insert terrified screaming here)

I'll keep you posted, but it could be a while. We'll see...

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Lisa! Linked to your blog from FB and I love it :) Praying for you, Tim and your little baby - can't wait to see pictures of the little one!

Lia said...

Wow, all that hospital talk brings back memories. Forget modesty lets get this baby out.

Wishing you love and snuggles in the days ahead.